- PublicationThe Use of Remote Sensing for Estimating the Impact of Climate Change onJapanese Encephalitis Disease DistributionIn Thailand, Japanese encephalitis (JE) occurs primarily in the north and northeastregions and remains a public health problem because the case fatality rate is 10-50%. Thedisease has recently been recognized in new areas and has recurred in previously endemicareas. The environmental interactions are important in the various effects of temperature andrainfall. To tackle with problems on JE, the development of a model that can predict JE case asa function of these environmental factors is needed. Two models have been developed in thisstudy based on time-series analysis. One is in Chiangrai Province that shows high JE cases inThailand and the other is for the whole country, Thailand. The accuracy (R2) of these modelsare 0.970 and 0.783 respectively in 1992-1993 in which model parameters have beendetermined. The models were applied to 1998 data for validation, which showed the accuracy(R2) of 0.727 and 0.621 respectively. Remote sensing data from NOAA AVHRR is introducedto identify rice fields to make it possible to predict JE cases at near real time at the seasonaltime scale in Thailand. The accuracy (R2) of this model is 0.608 in 1998 between the JE casefrom a model and the actual.
- PublicationUniversity Timetabling Using Evolutionary ComputationUniversity timetabling problems have been interested by many researchers for more than adecade. However, there is no appropriated solution or computation model available to solve these problemssuccessfully. This is because of many different version of timetabling problems. In this paper, a novalapproach of Genetic Algorithm (GA) for solving educational timetabling problem is proposed, including theconstraints statements, the definition of a hierarchical structure for the fitness function, and the generalizedgenetic operators, which can be applied to matrices representing timetables. The paper focuses on lecturingtimetables only, but not the examinational timetabling. The crossover rate and mutation rate were varied toconduct effective results and they shows that the given appropriate crossover rate of 50% and mutation rateof 50% is the best ratio to solve university timetabling problems.
- PublicationImproving the Performance of RPX Using Handoff Detection for Host Mobility(University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce, 2006)
;University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce. School of EngineeringAs the limited IPv4 address space has made the cellular industry that decided to start using IPv6 for the mobile users in 3G-network.However , there is a potential threat to the success of 3G-network deployment, as the success will depend on the services offering to the end users.These services all reside in the current IPv4 address space,which make them inaccessible to the users that will reside in the IPv6 address space.Previous studies on network address translation have shown that the REBEKAH-IP with Port Extension, RPX is promising in that it provides excellent scalability and also supports all types of services without limitation for the mobile users in cellular network. In this paper, we propose a method that enables to evaluate the performance of RPX scheme in terms of scalability and number of public IPv4 addresses utilization.We provide a mathematical model as a guideline to determine the range of public IPv4 addresses allocated to an RPX gateway in a cellular network.In addition, we present all results on the practical scalability of RPX through the mathematical analysis and simulations. 6 42
- PublicationA HCI Keyboard Layout Design for Blind PeoplePresently, computers have become a part of everybodydaily life, including disables such as blind people. Akeyboard is a main input equipment of computers.However, these keyboards are not yet suitable for blindpeople, especially for the Thai alphabet system. Thispaper proposes a new layout design of computer keyboardfor blind people. The research results show that Braillecharacter code is very attractive to be used for designingthe layout. Many mechanisms for arrangement the keysor buttons are investigated and the results shows that totype Thai Braille character code, the keyboard layoutrequires add/drop cells buttons in addition to the normalbuttons representing number 1 to 6 of the Braille charactercode. Moreover, the results suggest that such buttonsmust be in order of 5 3 1 2 4 and 6 rather than 1 2 3 4 5 and6 which has been used in many keyboard currentlyavailable on the market.
- PublicationDetection of an Acute Leukemia Using an Active Contour ModelThis paper presents a detection of an acute leukemiafrom smeared leukocytes image using ACM (active contourmodel). We calculate a granule area of an auerrod for classifytype of leukemia cell. We segment an auerrod from cell usingcolor segmentation. After that, we find a granule area by ACMof each cell. Finally, we classify a leukemia cell from a ratiobetween granule and auerrod. The proposed technique can belook for size and color of the smeared leukocyte nuclease andcompare with the normal leukocyte nucleus size. Thedifference of size and color can detect for abnormal leukocytes.The result show that the proposed technique can accuratelydetect by 90%.